Welcome

Hello there! Thanks for dropping by. Comment on anything that you love, empowers you or makes you smile...

Monday, March 30, 2009

Why I want to go to Africa.


Gandhi once said,”Be the change you want to see in the world

Ever since I watched the "Invisible Children" video in my World Geography in 9th grade, I have wanted to go to Africa. It was so inspiring and affected me. I knew that I wanted to go there, or at least help. My love for service has increased greatly in the past couple years. I started a service club at my junior high and we did lots of service projects. I was so glad I had my mom to help me with it. It was disappointing though, how many people lacked interest in joining. Especially some of my closest friends. That is when I saw that our society has so much and aren't as grateful as we should be. I saw that, that was the time that I needed to help my friends, and others around me to catch the vision of service.

This video that I watched was so upsetting. I hated seeing the tears in the children's eyes. Many of them left to starve, many taken away from their families, and many being seperated by parents. The video was very emotional for me, and almost at times unbearable to watch. You are welcome to watch it and view it. www.invisiblechildren.com But, I am honestly telling you now, it is very upsetting and hard to watch. I wanted to be apart of helping Africa in some way. That is why I chose to go to Africa next summer for my senior trip.

I was beginning to get sick of the laughs, scuffs, and unsupportive remarks I was getting from others. The common remark was, "Yeah right! or.." Yes, take me with you!" I may just be sounding sensitive. But I am going to Africa. I want to make a difference and I want to have an inspirational life changing experience. The only way I will really experience this is going to a country that has so much poverty. Much of my want to go to Africa, was also my cousin Allia. She went last summer and I am so proud of her. She said it was one of the best experiences she had ever been able to do. She has been so willing to help me when and whereever she can. Those that have the most faith in me is, Allia, my mom and Katie Swain my best friend. I look up to these women in every way. I am so glad they know I can accomplish a goal that I want.

My dream to go to Africa will come true next year.. I hope to go with a humanitarian group and go on a service mission with the organization. I want to do everything I can to help. For many of you that have seen the video, I will not be traveling to that part. I am not willing to risk my life in an area that is simliar to that. I will be going to a part of Africa, that is not in the middle of the genocide. Africa here I come. I want to make a difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one dear.....but where in africa do you want to go to....cos most time i hear non africans esp american say they want to go to africa but some fail to realize africa is a continent with over 40 different countries...

lauren leigh said...

Umm..Do I know you? I am not sure of the exact part of Africa. I understand that Africa is a lot bigger than most people think. Maybe somewhere around Senegal.